main menu

February 13, 2015

i'm coming soon

Warm, late afternoon sun beats into our apartment. It hits the top of the red tulips that stand in a bold, beautiful cluster on the table, flashes on the edge of the butcher knife, bumps over the container of chopped zucchini, and throws blue-grey shadows on the cabinets. For half an hour, the kitchen blazes with glory. 

Today as it hits, I'm chopping vegetablesgorgeous reds, oranges, yellows and greens tumble into a mixture in the pan. Nearby, a bowl of tan, brown and black beans waits to be stirred into my concoction. As I watch light fill the room, falling over the colours and shapes of our dinner, it is a reverent moment for me...


The late afternoon sun is a joy to me, but it is also a warning: it tells me the day is almost over. It means that the hours that I have between my husband's departure for work and his return have almost elapsed, and I should have something to show for myself for this day. Something to show God, something to show my husband. If I've used my day well, the rays are a warm comfort. On wasted days, it is more of a reprimand: see how much of the day is gone? And what have you done? The sun is a faithful teacher: teaching, reproving, correcting, training.

Now, that moment has passed and the sky is a milky yellow-white, with the last of its glory dropping behind scratchy grey trees. Vegetarian chili is bubbling semi-rhythmically and my husband will be sending me his "I'm coming soon!" message shortly. There are dishes to be put away and rooms to be straightened before he and our guests arrive. This day will soon be done.

The sun serves as a marker in our days. 
  1. When the sun streaks the sky at sunrise, we have a fresh new opportunity. 
  2. When it burns in its fiery late afternoon glory we have a reminder.  
  3. When we see it dim and hide, we are challenged to evaluate our work. 
And tomorrow, we begin again.
From the morning,
to the afternoon,
to the evening.
The sun offers gracious, thrice-daily check points, if you will, that steer us into wise living. 

Well-invested weeks, months or years are always the product of without well-invested days. We say we want to live our lives for Him, but what about our days? The Son says, "I'm coming soon!" and I want to present to Him a life lived daily in light of His glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment